Sunday 7 November 2010

On the Waterfront - The greatest male performance on the silver-screen?


On the Waterfront. What a film. The greatest performance of all time on the silver-screen? Made by the most controversial director in Hollywood (Elia Kazan). This films on and off screen story facinate me.


But it's Brando's performance that blows me away. It is perfection. An actor at his peak, and in complete control of his skills. His ability to portray such vulnerability in such a masculine role like never seen before. A real masterclass in improvisation. And the definitive scene, "I coulda been a contender".



For me it was The role that Brando would never better. He played some facinating characters in his career, Vito Corleone, Colonel Kurtz and Paul in 'Last Tango in Paris'. But his fire would never burn as bright. Not for me anyway, and 'that' scene pretty much defines his career, "I could have had class" and he did in spades. And I think that is part of my facination with Brando, a flawed genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment