Sunday 14 November 2010

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Deam my first love

Releleased in 1993 this albums sonic sound caught my imagination at the age of twelve. I would go round to my friends house an here "Quiet" booming out of his brothers bedroom, and remember thinking what is this! My friends brother kindly made me a tape of "Siamese Dream" and that was it hooked through my early teens on whatever Billy Corgan would produce.

But with time and other bands coming on my radar the Pumpkins fell to the back of my record collection and their relevence became less and less. Until I heard the opening bars of "Cherub Rock" on the radio. A huge wave of nostalgia hit me. And I was 12 again with my tape deck.

Though "Melancholy and the Infinate Sadness" has it's high points, it's  "Siamese Dream's" pure tonal sound that captures my imagination so much. It is one of the greatest albums to come out the 90's and though chucked in with the other grunge bands of the time, the Pumpkins did something exceptional.

No comments:

Post a Comment